[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Tobie Langel tobie at unlockopen.com
Wed Mar 18 00:10:18 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 23:48 Gil Yehuda via License-discuss <
license-discuss at lists.opensource.org> wrote:

> Moreover, the system is set up so that voters neglect to vote for people
> they don't want to see seated.

That would be true of other forms of voting, such as single transferable
vote (STV), but isn’t true of stack ranking (which is what the OSI uses).
In stack ranking, voting for other candidates than the ones you want to
champion actually diminishes your favorite candidate’s chance of getting
elected. You’re thus incentivized not to vote for more candidates than
there are seats.

But seeing it that way suggests that 256 of the 338 voters (about 75%) did
> not want an outcome with Coraline getting a seat and 302 voters (about 90%)
> did not want an outcome where Tobie got a seat.

As explained above, you can’t make this claim from the results of an
election which uses stack ranking. What you can say is 256 voters out of
338 favored two other candidates over Coraline. Maybe all of them would
have voted for Coraline had there been a third seat open. Maybe none would.
You simply can’t tell from the results.

—tobie