[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Wed Mar 18 04:39:42 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: License-discuss <license-discuss-bounces at lists.opensource.org> On
Behalf Of Rick Moen
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 4:56 PM
To: license-discuss at lists.opensource.org
Subject: Re: [License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower

I wrote:

> McCoy, I appreciate the further explanation, albeit I probably don't

> have enough knowledge of the voting process to entirely follow your

> distinction between voters (qty. 338) and votes (qty. 1,061):  Access

> to the Helios ballot tracker is reserved to currently qualified

> voters, and if the ISO process was/is already elsewhere documented, I

> apologise but it must

  ^^^^^^^^^^^

> have flown past me.

That was supposed to be 'OSI process', in case my caffeine-deficient typing
induced perplexity.  Apologies for the tyop.

As I think Tobie explained in more detail, the OSI voting process is that
each voter can cast as many votes as she or he wants for the candidates for
which she or he is eligible to vote (for most of us, that was the 15
individual member candidates).  The Helios data, which is only viewable if
you were eligible to vote, says 338 voters cast ballots out of 695 eligible
individual voters (so about half of eligible voters voted), and those 338
cast a total of 1,061 votes (so each voter voted, on average, for about 3
candidates, even though only 2 Board seats were open for individual voter
positions).