[License-discuss] An 'open source' ventilation project is looking for legal help

Matthew Broberg matthewbbroberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:30:41 UTC 2020

Hi all,
There's a well-meaning movement hoping to overcome the limited availability
of ventilators using open source software and hardware [0] though they're
using the term loosely. I joined their community channel to try to confirm
it meets the OSD so that I can cover it on Opensource.com. I answered some
questions and offered an I-am-not-a-lawyer introduction to licensing, but
they are in need of more than that. Here's their announcement from their
Slack:

*Regulatory and Legal Leaders. *We need leaders experienced and able to
organize regulatory matters. You'll need to be a kind but shrewd skeptic of
projects—and an ardent advocate of the ones we agree can succeed. There's
different flavors of this role, across legal, and field specific domains,
so we we're looking for multiple people.

I am not affiliated with the effort right now, but I want to see if others
wish to be. The best contact information I can find so far is
opensourcehumankind at gmail.com. Please point any follow up questions there.

[0] https://www.projectopenair.org/

All the best,
Matt Broberg