[License-discuss] Thoughts on the subject of ethical licenses

Grahame Grieve grahame at healthintersections.com.au
Wed Mar 11 03:13:54 UTC 2020

The question for me is whether there's some useful middle ground. Is there
value in having an ethical use license where the creator gives up many but
not all rights, in a way that respects some core tenets of the open source
movement, and where the ethical restrictions are careful, and that this
place, while not proper open source, is still a recognisable benefit with a
name like Ethical Public Source or something?

A different phrasing might be, do the managers of opensource.org believe in
all or nothing? Personally, I think that it's consistent with the open
source philosophy to encourage creators to be as open as they can be, and
not to encourage the more predatory aspects of proprietary source just
because it''s not wholly open source. Noting that I, of course, am just an
opinion holder, not someone who is important.

Grahame

-----
http://www.healthintersections.com.au / grahame at healthintersections.com.au
/ +61 411 867 065