[License-discuss] Thoughts on the subject of ethical licenses

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Tue Mar 10 19:32:15 UTC 2020

On 3/10/2020 1:32 PM, Russell McOrmond wrote:
> "I think the fundamental thing that bothers me the most about the OSD
> 1.x is that it grants rights downstream, but doesn’t give the creators
> any real rights. And that’s a major difference between open and
> #EthicalSource — ethical source is about empowering creators."
> https://twitter.com/CoralineAda/status/1234307401169408001

I was struck by this too. The reality is that, by virtue of the
structure of copyright, creators (or more accurately authors) have ALL
the rights and it's only through license that they give up some of those
rights. An author is free to craft a license to whomever they choose on
the terms they choose. So I didn't understand the argument.

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal
PO Box 2492