[License-discuss] Thoughts on the subject of ethical licenses

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 17:20:28 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:21 AM Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> * Coraline Ada Ehmke:
>
> > Can you provide an example of an ethical source license that is
> > based on a controversial social or political line?
>
> Not sure if I understand the question correctly, but:
>
> Some proponents of the GPL cite ethical reasons for implementing it.
> Copyleft is a controversial social concept.

The GPL is not an "ethical source" license as participants in the
ethical source movement understand that term (see
https://ethicalsource.dev/definition/ although I am not sure any
licenses currently considered to be "ethical" by the ethical source
movement meet all the license-relevant parts of this definition).

Richard