[License-discuss] Feedback about fair-code model

Paulo Coghi - Coghi IT paulocoghi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:12:45 UTC 2020

Hello community, my name is Paulo Coghi. Nice to meet you!

I recently discovered the fair-code model (https://faircode.io/) and I
would like to know if it "fits" on any specific OSI approved license.

It was created by n8n's author (https://github.com/n8n-io/n8n) as a way to
solve the long discussion taken here https://github.com/n8n-io/n8n/issues/40
after he called his software "open source"

I am developing a full-stack framework and I would like to make its
software open-source *and* follow the fair-code model.

Thus, I would like to know if there is an approved OSI license that
provides the same rights and obligations as fair-code.

The 4 main points are:

 - the source is open and anyone can freely access and contribute to it
 - anyone, person or company, can freely use it, including for commercial
purposes, publicly or privately
 - anything produced by the final user/developer using this software
belongs to this final user/developer
 - only the original creator (of the open source software) can sell the
software itself (for example, for self-hosted offers)

So only the commercial rights on the software itself (not the rights on
what was made through it) is retained to the author.

Anyone is free to host this software anywhere, for example on Amazon or
Google Cloud and even Amazon and Google can *use* the software
commercially. What they (ie Google and Amazon) cannot do is to offer
commercial services of the software, like paid self-hosted options.

Sorry for the long question.

Paulo Coghi