[License-discuss] Columbia S&T Law Review analysis of the OSI license-discuss mailing list

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Sat Feb 29 20:25:51 UTC 2020

Van Lindberg did an article arguing the opposite of the conclusions in this article:  http://www.stlr.org/download/volumes/volume20/lindberg.pdf

What I found curious about the Kappos/Harrington article was this statement and footnote:

To remind ourselves of the conversations surrounding OSD compliance and free redistribution accompanying OSS, we examined all OSI License Discuss and License Review archives available from April 1999 to June 2018 for discussions mentioning OSD 1 or OSD 7.6

6See The License-review Archives, OPEN SOURCE INITIATIVE, http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/ (last visited Mar. 8, 2019); The License - discuss Archives , OPEN SOURCE INITIATIVE, http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-discuss_lists.opensource.org/ (last visited Mar. 8, 2019).

License-approval only goes back to December, 2007; license-discuss goes back to 1999, but as far as I can tell doesn’t include complete discussion about approvals of licenses from 1999-2007 (those discussions are on now-dead links to Russ Nelson’s private webpage).  I think a complete examination of the history of license approvals (particular around the ones that were put early on the list) would require that data.  I’ve heard it exists somewhere, but not sure where.  Would be nice if it was publicly accessible.