[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Persona non Grata Preamble

Grahame Grieve grahame at healthintersections.com.au
Sat Feb 29 10:12:55 UTC 2020

This discussion is important to me, and for some open source communities in
health. Many contributors to open source health care communities are
strongly driven by healthcare ethics, not open source ethics, and that
gives rather different feelings about this. So I’m finding the discussion
useful, and I hope that discussion on this question itself isn’t ruled off
topic per se.

I just read #5 and #6, and they give me a question:

> No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

> The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a
specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program
from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.
This precludes discrimination against illegal activities, either in the
source or user jurisdiction, right? Has this ever been tested in court?
(E.g. an open source library that was a key contributor to empowering an
illegal activity is targeted for allowing that use in it’s license).

Further, the discussion on #5 specifically calls out ‘the process’ not just
the software (though the discussion on #6 doesn’t). I’m not sure how to
understand that. Say I got a PR that specifically made it possible to break
the law using the source code. (I haven’t had such a PR, but there are
places in my source where this could be done since my source is enforcing
the law in places). Is the intent of the OSD that such a PR should be
accepted since there should be no prejudicial treatment? I suspect not, but
I feel as though some better explanation would be helpful.

Grahame

-----
http://www.healthintersections.com.au / grahame at healthintersections.com.au
/ +61 411 867 065