[License-discuss] Member conduct

Pamela Chestek pamela.chestek at opensource.org
Fri Feb 28 02:28:31 UTC 2020

To all,

Following an incident on Open Source Initiative mailing lists, the Board
has removed a subscriber from both the License-Review and
License-Discuss mailing lists for repeatedly violating the Code of Conduct.

The Board took steps to mitigate the issue and began deliberating
immediately after the incident, reached a decision early this morning,
and notified the subscriber of the decision this afternoon.

The Board regrets that some material was published that should not have
been, in spite of our best moderation efforts. We ask for all mailing
list participants to be cautious with the use of CC, BCC, and Reply-All
fields in the future.

Although we have failed in this instance, the OSI continues to work on
making the email lists safe environments where all people and viewpoints
are greeted with an open mind and treated with dignity and respect. OSI
has a broad constituency and that remains a fundamental asset to our
mission.

We will be following up in the coming weeks with a more general public
statement about the current state of our moderation efforts, as well as
relevant projects that are in flight. We are grateful for the feedback
we’ve received and welcome further input on our efforts.

We hope that our continued efforts will bring more underrepresented
voices to the table, and that those who left will feel safe returning.
We want you all with us on this journey.

Pamela Chestek
Chair, License Review Committee
Open Source Initiative