[License-discuss] Language, appropriateness, and ideas

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 16:32:54 UTC 2020

Hi Russell,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020, 9:36 AM Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 8:21 PM VanL <van.lindberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Further, if we really believe in the importance of ideas, and the
>> importance of speech to express those ideas, even ones we disagree with, we
>> should act in a fashion that allows us the broadest exposure to those
>> different ideas. Sharp language results in "de-platforming" of those who
>> would express an otherwise radical idea.
>>

> I'm trying to understand the logic behind this discussion.
>
> The context was in discussing the concept of a "Persona Non Grata" clause
> in licenses, the purpose of which is to name, shame and discriminate
> against individuals and groups.   Not only should this concept be
> immediately understood as incompatible with the non-discriminatory aspects
> of the OSD, but the suggestion that we as a community should be accepting
> naming-and-shaming should be rejected by a code of conduct.

The logic is that discussing naming-and-shaming as a concept is different
than actually holding a person up for ridicule or derision.

We can discuss the concept without actually implementing it.

...and the conclusion regarding the concept was that we should not do it,
so it is almost axiomatic that we should take our own advice in this
respect.

Thanks,
Van