[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Persona non Grata Preamble

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Feb 24 14:35:51 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 9:11 AM Simon Phipps <simon at webmink.net> wrote:

However, it might make the license fail OSD #5. In jurisdictions prone to
> libel and/or defamation lawsuits, developers might feel they are prevented
> from using code that includes a statement which might prove actionable in
> their jurisdiction as creating a public derivative would make them a party
> to the statement.

Another good point against it.

> I also share the concern several have expressed about the immutability of
> the  condemnation. There is no mechanism described for reconciliation and
> forgiveness to be expressed.

Well, we live in an age when highly public false penance (false confession,
false contrition, false promise of amendment) is so common that
reconciliation and forgiveness are taken to be either sins in themselves or
ways of enabling the sins of others.  This road leads inexorably to a
philosophy of universal damnation.

"There's a great text in Galatians [3:10, I think]
Once you trip on it, entails
Twenty-nine distinct damnations
One sure, if another fails."

        "You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"
                --fortune cookies opened by a couple that I know