[License-discuss] Certifying MIT-0

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Fri Apr 24 14:46:46 UTC 2020

Moving to license-review, since it is discussing a license currently
under review.

On 4/24/2020 10:38 AM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> “Unlicense” is a PD dedication, not a licence, and therefore
> not portable to at least a good part of the EU, unusable both
> for consumers and creators. I have to treat stuff under the
> “Unlicense” as proprietary unlicenced unusable crap.
Can you explain what about it makes it equivalent to proprietary? How is
this not sufficient: "Anyone is free to copy, modify, publish, use,
compile, sell, or distribute this software, either in source code form
or as a compiled binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial,
and by any means."

How would an EU court reach a conclusion about the use of the software
under this license that is contrary to the OSD?

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal
PO Box 2492