[License-discuss] [License-review] Coherent Open Source - Getting underway next Friday

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Thu Sep 12 15:33:44 UTC 2019

Gil Yehuda dixit:

>   - *Free*: an ethical movement that sees proprietary software as a social
>   wrong/evil. Licenses are designed to reduce this evil.
>   - *Open*: a crowdsourcing movement that enables networked value
>   production. Licenses allow participants to manage their intentional
>   involvement in unrestricted code sharing, yet not erode proprietary
>   software unintentionally.

I don’t think this is accurate.

I’d count myself in the “Free” camp, I don’t care about crowds or
crowdsourcing, I’m hacking mostly for myself, (and a bit to make
the world a better place), and I just see the copyleft bits as
added _restrictions_ that are annoying and make things less free.

Please also consider http://copyfree.org/standard by apotheon,
which gets rather close to my personal preferences (even if I
accept other things that are not compliant), as food for thought.

And my signature, of course.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt