[License-discuss] Storing source artifacts in ELF files

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Mon Oct 7 21:13:43 UTC 2019

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY CCDC ARL (USA) via License-discuss dixit:

>Yeah, but the advantage of having it in the ELF file is that you don't
>need to execute the file to get at the source

?!?!?!

JARs are PKZIP archives. You can use something like Info-ZIP unzip(1)
to get at its contents. (We bundle the sources in them though so that
the web application can serve its own source to users.)

>SEAs require you to trust that the archive is not malicious.

This is true for all archive format… oooh and PKZIP, with its habit
of duplicating information, has been exploited at least on Android
multiple times already…

… I personally like romfs (from Linux 2.0, dunno if it’s still in
Linux), which would achieve mountability… but compression might be
desirable… I extremely doubt a good standard can be chosen at all.

Which is why my long mail ended with the suggestion to not embed
but use the packaging system to provide instead.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“ah that reminds me, thanks for the stellar entertainment that you and certain