[License-discuss] GPLv2+ce question - are you forced to make your project open source.

richard dagenais rdagenais at live.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 08:20:16 UTC 2019

Hello

I am seeking your expertise in answer a question I have regarding GPLv2+ce  and Amazon Corretto OpenJDK 8.

Someone has mentioned that in order to be able to use the open source software you must make your software open source as well.  Our software is not open source and we do not want to make open source. Is it possible to simply include the open source Java runtime in our packaging, which is a commercial product?  For our situation, we are not modifying any part of the open source code but using it to generate byte code from our code base. We also would need to distribute the Java JRE of the open source project with our code in order to run the application.

Link to GPLv2 I have found.

https://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html

Thank you. Best regards

Richard