[License-discuss] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Martijn Verburg martijnverburg at gmail.com
Sat May 25 19:09:27 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I’m regular on other stds bodies and groups and the OSI lists are a little
more on the robust side than others 🙂.

An attempt to make both lists more welcome to new voices who may find these
places currently intimidating can’t do any harm.  I think Pam’s approach is
very reasonable, why not let’s try it and see!

Cheers,
Martijn

.

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:24, Pamela Chestek <pamela.chestek at opensource.org>
wrote:

> On 5/25/2019 11:14 AM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>
> As for list moderation, I believe that this and other open source lists go
> way too far when they impose strict codes of conduct. I am an even greater
> fan of free speech than I am of free software. If you send too many emails,
> that is why God created the delete key. If anyone thinks that words like
> "absurd" deserve censure, then it is *they* who need a spine implant.
>
> Larry,
>
> Thanks for the kudos, I appreciate it.
>
> I agree that all opinions should be heard, but I want to clarify that you
> can't say them any way you want. I hope that everyone expresses their
> opinions with civility and respect, so that those who hold different
> viewpoints aren't afraid to state their difference of opinion.
>
> I've seen a few people who have said, essentially, "it's a little rough
> and tumble, so what, deal with it." But we lose voices that way. Some
> people with very smart views don't like confrontation, or internalize it as
> an attack. But we need to make room for them too. I've never heard of a
> forum where people won't participate because it's too polite (but I'd be
> interested to hear if there are any). I believe an elbows-out style of
> engagement is to all of our detriment. We don't need it; calm, rational
> argument is far more persuasive than bluster any day.
>
> Pam
>

> Pamela Chestek
> Chair, License Review Committee
> Open Source Initiative

Cheers, Martijn (Sent from Gmail Mobile)