[License-discuss] comprehensiveness (or not) of the OSI-approved list

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 23 05:10:52 UTC 2019

Quoting Lawrence Rosen (lrosen at rosenlaw.com):

> > Today, I declare that a codebase is 2-clause BSD licensed.
>
> As you have the obvious right to do.
>
> But as someone recently reminded me, and I remind this list, the OSI charter
> includes the obligation to "educate the public about open source." And so
> OSI should educate you that patents are sometimes very important, and that
> the BSD license is currently not very useful in the open source environment.
> It is risky! Stay away from it! Use a professional license instead.

{grin}  I concur, and am a longtime fan of your efforts on this point.

It was merely a handy example of a permissive licence, and any would
have sufficed.  It was not an endorsement.

(I certainly hope my upthread post was on-point and useful, despite
having typed 'Ruthenian' at one point when I meant to type 'Ruritanian'.
My apologies to any slightly astonished members of various East Slavic
peoples.  This sort of gaffe is what happens when I attempt to ignore
jetlag.)