[License-discuss] GPL developer protections: Is limitation/disclaimer of warranty legally non-binding?

Patrick Schleizer adrelanos at riseup.net
Thu Mar 28 14:01:00 UTC 2019

VanL:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> It has to do with the difference between a license and a contract. See
> https://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1592&context=faculty_scholarship
> for a discussion.
>
> Thanks,
> Van

Hi Van,

excellent, I very much enjoyed reading it.

> Mark R. Patterson, Must Licenses Be Contracts? Consent and Notice in
> Intellectual Property, 40 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 105 (2012)
> Available at: http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/faculty_scholarship/593

It references,

> Open Source Licensing
> Software Freedom and Intellectual Property Law
> by Lawrence Rosenwith
> Available at:
https://rosenlaw.com/open-source-licensing-software-freedom-and-intellectual-property-law/

which touches the same subject, which I also very much enjoyed reading.

These two books strengthened my conclusion, that my two recent threads
on this mailing list,

- [License-discuss] Are limitation/disclaimer of warranty clauses
legally non-binding due to missing browsewrap/clickwrap agreement? [1]
- [License-discuss] GPL developer protections: Is limitation/disclaimer
of warranty legally non-binding? [2]

are not totally unreasonable.

Kind regards,
Patrick