[License-discuss] Discourse hosting

Kevin P. Fleming kevin+osi at km6g.us
Tue Mar 19 12:58:49 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 6:29 AM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> For clarification, are you talking about an arrangement where users
> would be required to enter a contractual relationship with Civilized
> Discourse Construction Kit, Inc. (CDCK aka 'discourse.org'), in order to
> participate in a Discourse forum hosted by 'discourse.org' for OSI?
> I.e., would this be one of those things where we'd have to agree to
> CDCK terms of service and give them a bunch of legal rights, in
> consideration of which we can use the CDCK-hosted OSI forum?
>
> Previous to this moment, I'd assumed you were talking about OSI
> operating a self-hosted Discourse instance, rather than OSI outsourcing
> that initiative, and implicitly requiring contributors to enter into a
> contractual relationsihip with a for-profit El Cerrito, California
> corporation.

I have quite a bit of experience in this area and can state that none
of this would be necessary (and some are not even options). CDCK does
not request or hold rights to any content on the Discourse sites they
host. I have no doubt they would happily offer an instance to OSI and
allow OSI to set the content policies, terms of service, and content
license.