[License-discuss] The per se license constructor

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Mon Mar 18 00:44:38 UTC 2019

I really don’t want to relitigate this but my recollection was that

a) the terms that were deemed questionable existed in the already approved 1.3 and

b) a significant part of the discussion wasn’t regarding whether it met the OSD but whether the government had need to retain those terms to follow regulations and that the terms made the license less reusable as a general purpose license.  Which struck me as a particularly specious argument for a license in the special purpose license.

If you believe my recollection is incorrect it’s in the archives and you can correct me. But the fact remains that a license update from a major open source contributor was held up by one individual for years...

Is it necessary to denigrate NASA lawyers operating in good faith to update an already OSI approved license they drafted as “random IP lawyers” and somehow unfamiliar with the open source domain?

Because that strikes me as seriously unproductive.