[License-discuss] discussion of L-R process [was Re: [License-review] Approval: Server Side Public License, Version 2 (SSPL v2)]

Ben Hilburn bhilburn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 18:50:59 UTC 2019

Hi all -

I've mostly lurked on L-R and L-D, but I want to voice my support for the
general idea that we can make things better than they currently are. I
appreciate Josh's and Luis' e-mails on the topic, and their suggestions for
how to improve things.

As Josh said, the charge and responsibility of L-R is only growing in
importance and impact. I increasingly see companies, universities, and
governments defer to the OSI as what it means to be "open source", and the
phrase "an OSI-approved license" is becoming more and more common in public
& private contractual agreements. The decisions made, or not made, by this
body have significant consequences, and I don't think the existing
workflow, tools, documentation, communication, and decision making are
commiserate with that responsibility.

Luis offered some great suggestions for possible improvements. I've never
used Discourse, so can't comment on it directly, but the general goals of
improving transparency, clarity, and inclusion are acutely important and
exactly the sort of things we should be trying to improve moving forward,
in my opinion.

Cheers,
Ben