[License-discuss] code hosting (was Re: Evolving the License Review process for OSI)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jun 10 22:11:54 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 4:36 PM Thorsten Glaser <tg at mirbsd.de> wrote:

> … but it certainly is another service that can change or go away
> in a jiffie, and those who prefer to not be dependent on such
> things do well to self-host.

A basically volunteer agency like OSI "self-hosts" when someone volunteers
to host for them.  When that volunteer loses interest, the "self-hosting"
goes away.  That's the way the Scheme community lost a bunch of servers and
some important mailing list archives.  We've gotten most of it back now,
but it has taken a lot more effort by a lot more volunteers.  The advantage
to paying for things is that someone has an incentive to keep them running;
of course, that requires a funding source.

"The part-time help of wits is no better than the full-time help of
half-wits."

"Fail-safe systems fail by failing to fail safe."

In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
with the giants on whose shoulders we stand.  --Gerald Holton