[License-discuss] popularity, usage, re-review of old licenses [was Re: Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 10 05:26:57 UTC 2019

Quoting Luis Villa (luis at lu.is):

> [1] who did not notice my "basic internet 101" subject change ;)

What I _actually_ said was that just editing the Subject header (and
preferably also deleting In-Reply-To so that mailers doing real
threading pick up the change) is 'Internet 101' as a method to... change
the Subject header.

To recap context:  Mr. Kevin P. Fleming <kevin+osi at km6g.us> had asserted
that on mailing lists, threads cannot 'be split off into separate
topics', whereas on Discourse Web-forum software, one can.  I was
replying to say, um, it's Internet 101 that if you want to change the
subject in SMTP, you change Subject (preferably also deleting
In-Reply-To) -- that doing that has a 37-year history of working in the
obvious way, and also ironically that threading isn't supported at _all_
in Discourse.

I found it lastingly strange to be targeted by some very strange
personal rhetoric from you for saying that -- and find it suspicious that
you, the main person lobbying for migration away from SMTP/mailing lists
to an instance of Discourse Web-forum software hosted by a third-party
corporation, are still flogging that particular deceased equine.