[License-discuss] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Fri Jun 7 22:23:33 UTC 2019

Brendan Hickey dixit:

>may be helpful.

The problem is not the tooling to check for licences.

The reason I postulate one can absolutely not even come
anywhere close to checking whether a licence is in use
is that people don’t necessarily use public hosting
services, nor even all that well-known ones… I mean,
who searches for things at edugit.org (ok maybe some)
or evolvis.org… or even things like the MirBSD CVS repo
or whatever private (but in theory publicly accessible)
git self-hosting I do? Or things where source tarballs
sent across the ether (or, worse, snail mail) are the
only form?

I think you cannot even get anything resembling a
representative number even with quite some effort.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt