[License-discuss] [License-review] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Tue Jun 4 21:05:29 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 11:47 AM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

By the way, Luis, has OSI ever _really_ advised newcomers to 'read the
> archives'?  Certainly, speaking for myself, *I'd* never so recommend,
> for multiple reasons including that just never working.

People who have asked questions of the list have certainly been told that,
both explicitly and by implication ("well, it isn't written down anywhere
else, so...") Usually politely, but polite terrible news is still terrible
news.

> By the way #2:  While of course it's generous of Civilized Discourse
> Construction Kit, Inc. to offer to host an instance of the Discourse Web
> forum for OSI, it's worth considering the message that would be sent by OSI
> thus outsourcing its Internet operations.

https://github.com/OpenSourceOrg/ has existed, and been relied on, for some
time. And that's purely proprietary.

More generally, SaaS is a massive channel for open source these days, and
the org has very limited organizational bandwidth. It would seem odd to
insist on both avoiding one of (the?) predominant open source distribution
model, and imposing overhead on the org.

Luis