[License-discuss] Government licenses

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Tue Jun 4 10:33:48 UTC 2019

> I'd love to understand the arguments that led to the conclusion that GPLv3 licensed works represent a greater public good here and thus justify more subsidy than others.

Hazarding a guess: the Installation Information provision of GPLv3 (aka anti-TiVoization) might have held sway here.
I seem to recall lots of press circa 2004 about how a certain voting machine maker was making political donations to one party, with the implication that they might be manipulating their machines to record votes one way, without the local government being able to see how they were doing so, or alter the machines to stop it from being done.