[License-discuss] Essential step defense and first sale

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Wed Jul 17 20:50:15 UTC 2019

Alexander Terekhov dixit:

>"But there is one more important result here. Do you remember all the
>predictions on message boards all over the web by anti-GPL activists
>like Alexander Terekhov that someone could get a copy of Linux, under
>the GPL, and then make copies and sell them under another license,

There’s a _tiny_ difference between “I don’t use my copy of this
software any more, let’s sell it” and “let me create new copies
and sell these”.

Furthermore, nothing prevents you from selling copies of software
under the GNU GPL, you just have to give them the source code as
well. Whether you get any sold is the other question (incidentally
my employer does).

But the first is a move. I don’t retain any rights to the copy of
used software I sell any more. This is a basic thing.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
This space for rent.