[License-discuss] Data portability as an obligation under an open source license

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 20:51:13 UTC 2019

Hi Russell,

You seem to be arguing about a point that no one is making.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019, 11:59 AM Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I am a user of landscaping services, and the company providing that
> landscaping service happens to use Microsoft Office, I am not through some
> transitive property a user of Microsoft Office.

You keep on repeating this point, but it doesn't seem relevant to this
discussion. To even attempt to bring this argument into scope, someone
responding has to assume a lot of facts not stated.

Can you clarify what you mean?

Can you also clarify how this line of argument applies to the specific
question of "can an open source license require that an operator providing
services to a third party also refrain from withholding that third party's
own data?

Thanks,
Van