[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Mon Jul 8 20:27:34 UTC 2019

Pamela Chestek dixit:

>Java and Android are not designed to work together. The purpose of the
>copying was not for interoperability between Java and Android.

Erm… no.

Android is a runtime for the Java™ programming language,
similar to how OpenJDK is, or J2ME.

They run on different operating environment (and thus have
different bindings for things like UI components), but source
code interoperability is there, you can use many “ordinary”
Java libraries with Android “äpps” in source form, sometimes
in binary (JAR with .class files) form even (the classes are
then copied into the DEX archive).

I’d call this interoperability.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
18:47⎜<mirabilos:#!/bin/mksh> well channels… you see, I see everything in the
same window anyway      18:48⎜<xpt:#!/bin/mksh> i know, you have some kind of