[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Jul 8 00:38:50 UTC 2019

Bruce Perens wrote:

> My opinion has been that gift-style licensing makes you an unpaid, and unappreciated, employee of big companies.... Having had my software installed in literally all lines of network-connected consumer devices, I feel that compliance with those [GPL] terms is a fair exchange. It goes in Billion-dollar television lines, etc.

I agree with Bruce that Busybox is a valuable "Swiss Army knife" software tool, and that he and his colleagues have earned compensation through "copyleft" for its use. However, I personally can appreciate both copyleft and "gift-style" licensing alternatives, depending upon licensor preference, as my own licenses implement.

Bruce also wrote:

> Being able to use the GPL and AGPL provisions has a lot of advantages.

But I don't agree with Bruce's statement about those "strong copyleft" licenses. The licenses that are needed for copyleft are the LGPL and a new ALGPL. In that, I agree with Russell McOrmand that "we should internationally be pushing copyright forward from what was articulated in the 1991 EU directive on software which suggested interfaces are not restricted subject matter."

I can report on the fears of some of my clients, who believed that they would be sued by SFLC if their independent software merely touched Busybox. It would be much safer for all users – and equally profitable for Bruce – if Busybox modifications themselves had to be disclosed by copyleft upon their physical distribution (or, with an ALGPL alternative, upon network distribution), without the fear of infection based on the "strong copyleft" theories about linking promoted by the GPL and AGPL.

Best, /Larry