[License-discuss] Data portability as an obligation under an open source license

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Fri Jul 5 20:41:07 UTC 2019

VanL dixit:

>And more broadly, are "users" of SaaS programs not "users"? If I am not

There’s a distinction between Free Software (where the user is the
person running it) and Free Services (in which people interacting
with the software get additional consideration).

I think it’s important to not conflate these two.

The AGPL is a licence that reduces software freedom to increase
service (user) freedom.

OSI will need to determine scope and focus.

My personal opinion (coming from the BSD camp): every additional
clause is an undue burden on users AND reuse of code snippets
elsewhere. Free Services can also be implemented with just the
classical Free Software (as above) Open Source licences, so just
do that. IMHO the AGPL is beyond acceptable already.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt