[License-discuss] Data portability as an obligation under an open source license

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Tue Jul 2 18:37:33 UTC 2019

I think a better analogy would be the inclusion of the Installation Information requirement in the *GPLv3 family of licenses.  That imposes an obligation to provide data which is potentially completely divorced from the executable code distributed under the license, and thus the source code that must be provided.  For example, a checksum or other hardware-instantiated feature which one needs to know in order to reinstall modified executables derived from the *GPLv3 license source.