[License-discuss] Data portability as an obligation under an open source license

Christine Hall christine at fossforce.com
Tue Jul 2 18:34:22 UTC 2019

VanL, Pamela has pretty much summed up what I was going to write.
Certainly, a commercial software license is a contract that can include
just about anything the licensor wants, so that's a non-argument.

It's also true that just because a license is contrary to the OSD
license doesn't automatically make it a good candidate for OSI approval.
"Out of scope" is a perfect term for phrasing my objections, especially
since this proposal can lead to all sorts of costly legal disputes over
who owns the data in question.

Again, it's my thought that open source licensing should focus on the
software itself, and not on the products of that software, otherwise you
are interfering with the rights of the users of the software.

As Unix users used to say, "Do one thing and do it well."

Christine Hall
Publisher & Editor
FOSS Force: Keeping tech free
http://fossforce.com