[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 18:18:45 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 1:05 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana at redhat.com> wrote:

> I believe one could reasonably argue that a reimplementation of an API
> (necessarily copying the supposed expressive elements of the API) does
> not fit this definition (even if it would fit the folk notion of
> derivative work that the free software/open source community largely
> seems to subscribe to).

Quick clarification:

Did you mean that "one could reasonably argue that a reimplementation...
*fits* this definition" but that the folk notion *rejects* it? Or did you
mean that a reimplementation *does not fit* this definition" (as you wrote
it) but that the folk notion *accepts* that a reimplementation is a
derivative work?