[License-discuss] Special rights granted by open-source licenses

Nicholas Matthew Neft Weinstock nweinsto at qti.qualcomm.com
Wed Jan 9 17:34:28 UTC 2019

You’re only talking about Copyright law.  The equivalent in Patent law is only for the named inventors.  So if a FOSS project wants to change license they would need to be certain that the scope of the patent grant is unchanged, or get approval from every contributor that is actually granting a license to one or more patents.  And since projects don’t keep track of which contributors are granting a patent license, that would effectively need to be every contributor to be completely certain.

-Nick