[License-discuss] GPL-3.0's anti-DRM tivoization clause

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Fri Aug 30 14:13:25 UTC 2019

License Discuss,

The OSI recently received a question via our contact form, and I
believe this group would able to provide some real insight and multiple
prospectives. The contact has asked to remain anonymous, so I am asking
on their behalf. Their question (slightly modified) is below.

   I am curious of the open source community's position on appropriate
   use cases for the GNU GPL-2.0 or GPL-3.0 independent of the FSF's
   official preference for the upgraded license.

   I'm an amateur software developer specializing in Python game
   development. My goal ultimately is to develop a cross-platform RPG.
   My principal concern, then, involves keeping the title free and
   open-source, without — however — any limitations on the potential
   for hardware manufacturers to maintain their DRM policy and
   disallowing modification of their specific snapshot or release of my
   software. I worry about the legal ambiguity surrounding the GPL-
   3.0's anti-DRM tivoization clause affecting the distribution of my
   software.

I believe the person who submitted the question will be watching the
discussion. If you have any thoughts on the topic I am sure they would
appreciate your comments.

Thank you,
Patrick

--
  ||  |   | || |  ||  ||  | || |  |||  |  |||

Patrick Masson
General Manager & Director, Open Source Initiative
855 El Camino Real, Ste 13A, #270
Palo Alto, CA 94301
United States
Office: (415) 857-5398