[License-discuss] For Public Comment: The Libre Source License

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Aug 21 23:33:21 UTC 2019

Russell, please clarify something for me about your opinion about copyright policy: Is any license whatsoever required in order for a private party to copy or modify a work of software, that it has obtained somehow, for her own private purposes? Or, in your view, is at least a minimal license required from the author to do those things?

I assume, at least in the US under current law, that software (source code and binary) is copyrightable as a literary work. And therefore, such a copyright is valid also under Berne, even in Canada, despite your wish that software not be copyrightable for private use.

How can anyone avoid a license for private uses?

/Larry