[License-discuss] For Discussion: Cryptographic Autonomy License (CAL) Beta 2

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 18:32:05 UTC 2019

Hi McCoy,

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:21 AM Smith, McCoy <mccoy.smith at intel.com> wrote:

> >>Can you explain why this is "problematic" in relation to OSD 9 please
> Richard? To my eyes the phrase "any modifications, elaborations, or
> implementations created by You that contain any licenseable >>portion of
> the Work" clearly bounds the effect to derivations of the licensed software
> and not to unrelated software distributed alongside.
>
> That was my reaction as well.
>
> Although I dislike use of the noun “elaborations” (what is that intended
> to encompass?) and assume “implementations” is intended to capture a
> reciprocal effect via patents?

"Elaborations" is from 17 U.S.C. 101: " A work consisting of editorial
revisions, annotations,* elaborations*, or other modifications which, as a
whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a 'derivative work.'"

Current language (from live link above): "The terms of this License apply
to the Work as you receive it from Licensor, as well as to any revisions,
modifications, elaborations, or implementations created by You that contain
any licenseable portion of the Work (a “Modified Work”)."

Thanks,
Van