[License-discuss] Ethical + Support license addition for Apache

Gil Yehuda gyehuda at verizonmedia.com
Thu Aug 8 14:59:50 UTC 2019

>  Let me clarify, I don't determine that [ my company was ethical enough
> or pledged enough support for us to continue to use your code], you do
> :-)

You use the code, you "Make sure your use of the software complies with
> your own ethical standards", and you decide on the support $ amount.

In that case, don't make my use of your code conditioned on this by putting
your additional clauses in a license file as a term of use.

You can put the phrase "You have to answer yes to: Are you proud of what
you're doing?"  on every file of your software in a comment block and on
every footer of your web page. You can adopt a company moto: "Don't be
evil" (it's been done before). Every time I visit your website or read your
code I'll think of my late father. He was a rabbi. He also told me that I
should only do things I'm proud of.  But he didn't put it in a legal text.
I agree with your sentiment. I caution your implementation.

Gil Yehuda: I help with external technology engagement

>From the Open Source Program Office
<https://developer.yahoo.com/opensource/docs/> at Yahoo --> Oath - ->
Verizon Media