[License-discuss] OSL and obfuscated code

Antoine Thomas antoine.thomas at prestashop.com
Wed Nov 21 15:53:16 UTC 2018

Dear Sir or Madam,

I’m reaching out as Open-source Advocate for PrestaShop which is the
designer and editor of an open source software solution, released under a
free license (Open Software Licence OSL-3.0), allowing its users to create
e-commerce websites in a quick and simplified way.

A new regulation which aims to fight VAT fraud obligates merchants (and
e-merchants) to use a software allowing to:
 -  Make accounting data inviolable,
 -  Secure the accounting data,
 -  Keep and store the accounting data,
In order to satisfy a potential inspection of the tax administration.

In addition to these properties, the law requires that merchants use a
certified software (FYI, in France, the certification is delivered by only
2 companies : LNE and INFOCERT).

In order to offer an alternative to our users, PrestaShop has developed a
module that can be installed to the merchant’s discretion.

This module complies with the law requirements but in order to satisfy the
INFOCERT’requests, the code source of the module has been obfuscated.

Before releasing the module, we would like to know your stands on the
matter.

Indeed, as the PrestaShop solution is open-source, we are concerned about
the compatibility of the OSL licence and the code-source obfuscation of the
module.

I thank you in advance and remain at your disposal if you have any
additional questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Antoine THOMAS

[image: PrestaShop]