[License-discuss] Open source software licenses and the OSD

Christopher Sean Morrison brlcad at mac.com
Fri Nov 9 21:31:49 UTC 2018

If a piece of software is covered by a patent that is not granted to recipients or is otherwise not royalty-free for, then they will be unable to use or distribute the code.  To me, that is a direct failure of the OSD, regardless of it being due to copyright law, patent law, or any other IP consideration.  They are not separable issues to the consumer.

I think the OSD — whether condensed to 4 or 5 concepts, the current 10 criteria, or simply the symbolic notion — applies generally and is not constrained to just copyright or regulation or other law.  The definition is in a broader community perspective, not a lawyer’s desired method of litigation or protection, that the code is truly “open” for myriad purposes.  If the code is covered by a royalty-enforced patent, then I can’t use it, plain and simple.  It’s not open source in my book.

Sean