[License-discuss] Interfacing two incompatible licenses?

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Thu Mar 15 20:13:08 UTC 2018

John Whitmore dixit:

>I have written a library of code for a few of Microchip's PIC
>micro-controllers licensed under the LGPL. Microchip have libraries of
>USB code, licensed under Apache 2.0, which I'd like to use in an
>application. So I'd like my main.c file to be able to call one of my
>functions and call one of Microchip's functions. (Actually more then
>one but lets start small.)

In your specific case: the LGPL is rather lax when it comes to
being combined; all you have to do is to provide everything ELSE
from the program (your code, the Microchip libraries, etc.) in
object form (*.o/*.obj, *.a/*.lib) so recipients can link them
against a modified version of the LGPL library. The Apache 2
licence also only applies to the direct work.

So, you can use any permissive licence for your main.c and even
some copyleft-ish ones (details to be discussed).

In a more general case: if the work you create is a derivative
work of the code under incompatible licences, you’re out of luck
unless the licences themselves provide a way out (like the one
above).

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt