[License-discuss] Mixed 5yr non-open then fully open license

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 31 00:37:18 UTC 2018

Quoting Thorsten Glaser (tg at mirbsd.de):

> I’d not write a new licence for this. Rather, I’d do this over the
> licence _grant_. The grant could just say: commercial licence A applies,
> and on 2023-07-30, open source licence X (or X, Y or Z; or any OSI-
> approved licence; whatever you chose above) is also granted on the work.

_Much_ better idea.  Further on this to Mr. Dupuy, the querent:
Part of the price of using a one-off and complicated licence is that
a broad cross-section of the intended audience are very likely to just
ignore the codebase entirely, as alternatives without strange terms of
use eliminate a whole class of problems ab initio.

So, just state as copyright holder that the work is available under the
terms of licence A starting $DATE1, and also state as copyright holder
that the work is available under the terms of licence A starting $DATE2.
Done.

--
Cheers,               Romana:  "I don't think we should interfere."
Rick Moen             The Doctor:  "Interfere?"  Of course we should interfere.