[License-discuss] Mixed 5yr non-open then fully open license

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 30 23:00:05 UTC 2018

Quoting John Dupuy (john at cattailcreek9.com):

> (It is my understanding that if I put fully proprietary software up on
> GitHub (with no license at all) and make it viewable by the public,
> that does not give way any rights per se anyway. Other than the
> implicit ability for outsiders to see it. So having the "casual
> viewing" period is kind of redundant.)

My understanding is that you thereby also create an implied licence to
the public to download.  (But yes, not to redistribute or
create/distribute derivative works.)  You probably realised that, but
since we're trying to be precise, I thought I'd mention it.  And,
perhaps more usefully:

Your model reminds me just a little of L. Peter Deutsch's former
dual-licensing regime for Aladdin Ghostscript (vs. GNU Ghostscript),
detailed here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostscript#History

--
Cheers,              "I am a member of a civilization (IAAMOAC).  Step back
Rick Moen            from anger.  Study how awful our ancestors had it, yet