[License-discuss] Proposed license decision process

Nicholas Matthew Neft Weinstock nweinsto at qti.qualcomm.com
Thu Dec 13 19:37:19 UTC 2018

This crossed in the ether with my response to Richard.

To your question below, I can cite two examples of Richard's concern:

* Ms-LPL is generally viewed as not "Open Source" because it has a platform limitation.  It's not listed in SPDX or on OSI.  It would satisfy this definition.

* Code Project Open License is sometimes viewed as not "Open Source" because it has a "fields of endeavor" limitation (may not be used for illegal, immoral, or improper purposes).  It is listed in SPDX, but not on OSI.  It would satisfy this definition.

I can also cite two examples of my concern, that licenses traditionally viewed as "Open Source" could be excluded by a highly literalist reading of the OSD:

* A highly literalist reading of "actually distributed under terms that grant" could suggest that the copyright and patent license terms must be express.  The standard 3-clause BSD license does not make any mention of patents, and could thus fail the OSD.

* A highly literalist contemplation of "without payment of royalties or other consideration, to distribute the unmodified or modified software" could extend "other consideration" to actions that require the licensee to become a licensor, such as requiring binary distribution to also make the accompanying source (including the licensee's modifications) available under the same terms.  Copyleft licenses such as GPL could thus fail the OSD.