[License-discuss] Proposed license decision process

Nicholas Matthew Neft Weinstock nweinsto at qti.qualcomm.com
Thu Dec 13 18:56:50 UTC 2018

I agree.

On the flip side, I would also say that there are be some licenses widely understood to be "Open Source" that would seem to fail a highly literalist reading of the OSD.

The possibility of unintentionally including licenses as "Open Source" that the community does not view as providing proper software freedom is mostly philosophical.  But the possibility of licenses no longer being "Open Source" could have real-world implications for projects that already use these licenses, as well as the folks who use those projects.  For example, what would it mean to Ubuntu if a portion of the projects in their build suddenly fail OSI's definition of "Open Source Software"?  How would these "formerly Open Source but not any more" licenses even be categorized?

-Nick