[License-discuss] Proposed license decision process

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Thu Dec 13 17:16:38 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 09, 2018 at 03:42:08PM -0800, Luis Villa wrote:
> (1) what is the proposed test for "guarantees software freedom"?
> (2) if the answer to #1 is something like "the same tests as the FSF would
> apply" (either explicitly or implicitly), does the board plan to talk with
> FSF about merging license lists and review processes? If not, why not?

(Just speaking for myself here)

I see the OSD as one attempt to define (or create a test for the
existence of) software freedom. The FSF's Free Software Definition is
another, different attempt.

As a definition, or test, the OSD, like any such attempt including the
FSD, is imperfect. The idea of revising or updating the OSD
occasionally comes up, as you know; for various reasons that I think
mainly come down to a certain sort of combination of conservatism and
pragmatism and inertia this is not likely to happen in the shorter
term.

However, the limits of the OSD as a self-sufficient test are becoming
more evident. I am concerned about efforts to "game" the OSD, or
reduce it to a narrowly-interpreted checklist. I can easily come up
with hypothetical licenses that would seem not to fail a highly
literalist reading of the OSD, but which historically would never have
been *treated* as conforming to the OSD, because of an obvious failure
of the license to provide software freedom as traditionally understood
in the community. When we see more real-world counterparts to
hypothetical licenses like that, what I find often happens is that
people use OSD 5/6 as a way of reintroducing consideration of the
values and norms that were historically brought to OSI license
review. I am sure I am viewing the past in a rosier manner than is
actually justified.

Anyway, I see explicit consideration of a provides-software-freedom
expectation as a way of correcting against this tendency to read the
OSD increasingly narrowly and literally.

So, there's been no discussion of a test as such. The assumption, I
think, is that it will involve case-specific analysis.

As to the FSF, I myself would like to see greater harmonization
between FSF and OSI with respect to treatment of purportedly-FOSS
licenses. I don't think merging review processes would make sense
because of the very different procedural approaches of the two
organizations. But for example the reason I asked Eliot Horowitz
whether he'd planned to get FSF review of SSPL(v1) is that it would be
non-ideal for FSF and OSI to reach different conclusions about what is
clearly one of the most controversial license submissions in recent
memory (not that I think that is necessarily likely ... anyway it
doesn't sound like MongoDB has concrete plans to approach FSF). I also
happen to like the public commentary of the FSF on its interpretation
of the Free Software Definition and I think it could be a useful
resource for other organizations, including OSI, to consult when
undertaking their own software-freedom-oriented review of licenses.

Richard