[License-discuss] MakeHuman, CC0 and AGPL

Lindsay Patten blindsaypatten at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 16:12:22 UTC 2017

Thank you for your quick response!

Can you clarify whether you can you put a copy of a work in the public
domain while maintaining a license on another copy?  Or is it the work
itself that is placed in the public domain, and any ability to enforce
copyright on any copies has been surrendered? My understanding was that
works are placed in the public domain while copies are licensed, and
that placing a work in the public domain renounces any copyright claim
you might have on any copies regardless of what license they may have
been previously released under.  You seem to be saying that a particular
copy of a work can be placed in the public domain while other copies
remain under copyright restrictions?

With regard to bundled exports, it would help me to look at a concrete
case.  Say we have an export from MakeHuman that consists of three files

1) A 3D mesh that was created starting with a 3D mesh that comes with
MakeHuman and transformed by the user using MakeHuman.

2) A meta-data file containing information about the character and its
appearance created by the user using MakeHuman

3) A texture in the form of an image file from the MakeHuman collection
of texture images.

Let's say the user chooses to take the CC0 option.  What is the
copyright status of the three files?  Are all three files now in the
public domain?  Can the user, or a third party use the individual files
without being restricted by the AGPL license that would apply if the CC0
option hadn't been taken?  Or is it only the particular combination of
the three that is in the public domain while the individual files are
still under copyright?  If it is only the combination that is in the
public domain, does it revert to AGPL if you make any modifications?

Thanks again.