[License-discuss] Guidance for making license information available to users

Jesper Lund Stocholm 4a4553504552 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 07:39:09 UTC 2017

Hi,

We are distributing (selling) an application written i JavaScript. Since it
is JavaScript (no obfuscation) all source code is technically available to
anyone who would like to look for it.

We include a number of components in our application and I am looking for
guidance to how we handle the licenses for them.

As an example:

We use a component called "jQDataRangeSlider"

The JavaScript file contained in our app contains this line:

/*! jQRangeSlider 5.7.2 - 2016-01-18 - Copyright (C) Guillaume Gautreau
2012 - MIT and GPLv3 licenses.*/

However, the MIT license says this at https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

Copyright <YEAR> <COPYRIGHT HOLDER>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

Our question is: how do we handle the requirement in the last line?

It is enough for us to "do nothing" - meaning simply keeping this line in
the JavaScript file:

/*! jQRangeSlider 5.7.2 - 2016-01-18 - Copyright (C) Guillaume Gautreau
2012 - MIT and GPLv3 licenses.*/

?

Or do we need to include the entire paragraph from the official MIT license
in our application?

And how should we handle the complete list of components that we use?

Is it enough simply to write "Contains software licensed under MIT, Apache,
GPLv3 ..."?

Or do we need to explicitly mention each component somewhere in a
"Readme"-file?

Like:

* Uses jQDateRangeSlider licensed under MIT and GPLv3 license, Copyright
Guillaume Gautreau 2012

* Uses numeral.js licensed under MIT license Copyright Adam Draper

And finally - can we simply add a "readme"-file with license information to
our application such that a developer/techie can find it - or do we need to
create some sort of link/page where "ordinary" users can find it as well?

Thank you :-)

--
Jesper Lund Stocholm
www.idippedut.dk